Monday, February 28, 2005

Cats and Shoes

In the "comments" for my previous post, Maggie makes an excellent point that I hadn't considered. Peeing on shoes is a waste of a good chew, and an infallible sign that my correspondents were cats (the handle "Mr. Kitty" was a pretty good clue, too).

I hadn't thought about it as I'm not a big chewer of shoes. Not that I disapprove or anything, mind you. In fact, it's really just lack of temptation. My buddies have shoes that just don't offer much. They're either mostly some unknown substance, or a hard kind of leather. Beta buddy once brought home a pair of tasty shoes--soft leather--and I did devour them. She hasn't done that since, though; don't know why not.

As to the nipping advice, that works great when the problem is that the buddy is doing something that actively injures you at that moment. If they're putting a ribbon in your hair, or pulling you in a bad way, or something. But, if it's that they've failed to do something, it's harder.

Here's what I mean. It's a question of connecting ideas.

See, buddies aren't capable of having a lot of ideas in their heads at one time. A dog can be thinking about dinner, and how a dog marked here a while ago, and there's a rabbit nearby, and a deer passed through here within a day. A buddy--nope. You've seen it, right? One idea at a time. If that.

If they've done something bad, then they have that idea (putting ribbon in hair). You nip, and they can now connect the two ideas (putting ribbon on dog=nip). Now, granted, I don't need to do that a lot because my buddies don't really do much that's painful, and I'm just too big for them to force me to do anything against my will. But, there is a problem with their not doing things. They forget to take us on walks or give us dinner or something. There is no idea in their heads with which to connect the punishment.

And that is why punishment doesn't really work.

3 Comments:

At February 28, 2005 at 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the cats sent paper stacks stuck together to my mommy buddy and daddy buddy. They were reading parts of it to each other. Who reads paper when the best part is to eat it? Afterward when I did the nose nip they would yelp and stop playing with me. Shunned, I believe is the word. Someone should report the cruelty written on that paper. If I get a chance, I am going to eat those papers.

-maggie

 
At October 29, 2005 at 9:07 PM, Blogger acoach2 said...

Great dog training blog! Keep up the great work. I have a web site on dog training, so I can relate. It pretty much covers all aspects ofdog training Stop by if you get some time.

 
At October 30, 2005 at 1:41 AM, Blogger acoach2 said...

Great dog training blog! Keep up the great work. I have a web site on dog training, so I can relate. It pretty much covers all aspects ofdog training Stop by if you get some time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home