Thursday, February 24, 2005

When Good Buddies Do Bad Things

I've ruffled a lot of fur with my insistence that punishing buddies isn't very productive. Today I'll just publish some of the hostile mail:


Productive? PRODUCTIVE? Who cares about "productive"? I reject your metaphysics of presence in favor of a performative deontology--productive or not, peeing on their shoes is fun.


Snowy



It's the isseu of principal, not consequences. Who cares if it owkrs to tach them something or not, their not really teachable after all. Its the priciple of hte thing. Theyhd did something wrong, they should be punsihed. If you dont punish them, then you set an example and then theyll be totully out of control. you have to show them whose boss.If you don't they'll just run all over you obiously your a complete wimp. Your just to weeny to stand up to your buddies.


Mr. Kitty



Don't think of it as punishment. Think of it as trying to teach them cause and effect. Cause: they behave badly; consequence: their shoes get peed on. I'm not claiming that buddies are especially bright, but I do think that sufficient repetition will work to get them to understand some very basic cause/effect relations.


Carole


I got a lot more along the same lines. While I won't reply to it right now, I will note that the "pee on the shoes" theme makes me suspect that these represent the views of my cat readers.

4 Comments:

At February 24, 2005 at 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only a cat would think peeing on shoes is a good thing. Why ruin a good chew that way? Seriously. I find a good nip to the nose to be more effective. If nothing else, it is really, really fun. Buddies yelping like little puppies--now that's entertaining!

-maggie

 
At October 15, 2005 at 1:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 
At December 29, 2005 at 5:23 PM, Blogger Plasma TV Center said...

Hi Thanks for your interesting blog. I also have a blog/site, covering plasma television information
related stuff. Feel free to visit my plasma television information
site.

 
At May 8, 2006 at 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the informative blog! I'm a webmaster of flat panel television

 

Post a Comment

<< Home